oureverydayuse

Friday, January 19, 2007

Yearly Tribute to E. A. Poe



Since 1949 a mysterious Poe toaster has visited the grave of Poe in Baltimore, Maryland to deliver a half-empty bottle of cognac and three red roses as a birthday tribute. In 1993 the Poe admirer left a note stating, "The torch will be passed." Many believe that the orginial visitor passed on the tradition to his son, who visited Poe's tomb this morning.

A Dream within a Dream
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if Hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

2 Comments:

At 3/06/2008 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this poem is beautiful. In my opinion, I think that Poe is trying to say things don't last forever. You may want something so bad that you think it is really there with you, but in reality it isn't. In reality you are really dreaming that the thing you want with you is there. Sometimes situations in life may seem to good to be true or to horrible to be true so you think your're dreaming; when in reality your situation is really happening. I do often wish dreams could be real, but their not.
#523

 
At 12/07/2009 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poe is one of my favorite authors to read. He is so creative in the way he expresses himself. Every word reads as though it is meaningful and truthful. This poem about dreaming with in a dream was beautifully written. I am not much of a dreamer. however, it makes me wish I was so that I could truly see his stand point.

014

 

Post a Comment

<< Home